“The way of the Lord is a refuge”. That word refuge, ma’owz in Hebrew, means a place or means of safety, a stronghold, a safe harbor, a fortress. It conveys strength like a rock.
- “It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.” 2Sam 22:33
- “The joy of the LORD is your strength.” Neh. 8:10
- “The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?” Ps. 27:1
- “The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.” Ps. 28:8
- “Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.” Ps. 31:2
- “The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; he is their stronghold in time of trouble.” Ps. 37:9
- “You are God my stronghold.” Ps. 43:2
- “LORD, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress” Jer. 16:19
- “The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him” Nah. 1:7
The path the Lord takes us on, the journey we walk with Him, alongside the Lord, is a safe place, a secure path. He sets our feet on solid ground when the world around us is shaking. What peace I have when I trust in God’s strength instead of my own, when I trust in God’s wisdom instead of my own, when I trust in God’s direction instead of my own. My heart cries out, “Lord, lead me and guide me along this way!”
Where do you need God to be your ma’owz today?