It is finished, tetelestai in the Greek, from the verb teleo meaning to fulfill, to complete the task as it was stated, to pay the price. It is used in the perfect tense meaning it has been paid and is remaining in effect continually.
It is finished. With these words Jesus proclaims that He has fulfilled His purpose, His mission, God’s will for His life, all that was asked of the Messiah, and.what He came to earth to accomplish,
- Gen 3:15 “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” – Finished
- Gen 22:18 “and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed” – Finished
- Ex 30:10 “This annual atonement must be made with the blood of the atoning sin offering for the generations to come.” – Finished
- Is 53:5 “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.” – Finished
- Is 61:1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;” – Finished
- Jn 3:14-15 “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.” – Finished
- And so many more
It is finished. Jesus had taken upon himself the sins of the world. Everything that was justly ours became unjustly His. All God’s anger over our sin had been directed at Jesus and the cup of God’s wrath had been drained.
- Mk 10:38 “Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?”
- Mt 26:39 “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
- Jn 18:11 “Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
It is finished. All the trials we couldn’t complete, all the temptations we couldn’t stand up to, all the punishments we deserved were done and Jesus had endured to the end.
- Heb 12:2 “For the joy set before him he endured the cross”
- Betrayed by a friend. Ps. 41:9
- Forsaken by His disciples. Ps. 31:11
- Falsely accused. Ps. 35:11
- Silent before His Judges. Isa. 53:7
- Numbered with transgressors. Isa. 53:12
- Crucified. Ps. 22:16
- Mocked by the crowd. Ps. 109:25
- Forsaken by God. Ps. 22:1
It is finished. The payment for our sins is completed. There is nothing else that needs to be done. He did it all. Every requirement of the Law, every prophecy of the Messiah, every commandment of God fulfilled. We’ve been purchased for all eternity, our adoption guaranteed, our inheritance secured. No more condemnation. No more burden of sin. No more fear of death. There is nothing that we can do to add to His victory and nothing we can do to take away from it. Jesus alone was able. Jesus alone was faithful. Jesus alone paid the price. It is finished, completed, paid in full! Take a moment and let that sink in. It is! It really is! It is finished!